I returned to work after Winter Break on Monday, January 4th. I was full of energy and had a great day ... until after dinner. After dinner, I was completely wiped out and realized I had overdone it. On Tuesday morning, I woke up feeling like I had been run over by a truck. By mid-morning, I was starting to have contractions. I started to freak out because I was not prepared to leave my classroom yet. I went home and rested. By the evening, the contractions slowed and I started to feel a little better. I returned to work on Wednesday, making sure to take it easy. Thank goodness for fantastic volunteers who helped me get my classroom organized and made sure I wasn't doing too much to start labor. By Thursday afternoon at work, I started to have some pretty strong contractions and made a decision that I needed to begin my maternity leave. I had a feeling that the time for Hunter to arrive was quickly approaching, but I really wanted to try to make it to 37 weeks. On Friday, I got TONS done around the house and had a lot of energy - with no contractions. I was wondering if it was the calm before the storm so to speak. Friday evening, Amanda and I went shopping to get some last minute things for Hunter. As soon as we got home, around 9 PM, my water broke! After we did some things around the house, Mom met us over here, and we headed to the hospital.
By the time I left OB triage and went up to labor and delivery, my contractions were coming on pretty strong and progressing to every couple of minutes. By 4 in the morning, I was at 9 1/2 and my contractions were only 30 seconds apart. Since they were coming so frequently and I had no time to recover, the doctor decided to give me some medicine to slow the contractions a bit so I would have the energy to push. At 5 I started pushing and at 6:07 AM on January 9, 2010, Hunter was born! Hunter weighed in a 6 pounds, 8 ounces and 20 3/4 inches long.
Serious cone head! I guess that's what happens when one sits super low for 20 weeks and is in the birth canal for a while!
Our new little man
Our goal was to leave the hospital as soon as possible the next day because we had playoff tickets for the Cardinals vs. Packers. The only problem was that we had to wait for Hunter to have his first bowel movement. Unfortunately, Hunter did not understand the urgency in going home. After our pediatrician attempted to stimulate Hunter into having a bowel movement to no avail, the poor little guy had to have a glycerin suppository, which assisted him and we were finally able to head home.
Once we got home, Aaron headed to the game with Richard, while Amanda and my mom stayed to help me with the kids. Talan did really well and was very excited to meet his new brother. Although Aaron was exhausted at the game, he had a great time and the Cardinals won. All in all, a pretty fabulous weekend!


1 comment:
These are great pictures. I can't until summer when you have time to post current ones. He has changed so much!
Post a Comment