Sunday, December 7, 2008

Lots of Questions

Let's just say that this past week was a long, long week ... Talan went to the allergist on Monday for some allergy tests to see what the cause was for his hives. He was tested for dogs, cats, mites, peanuts, and feathers. Aaron took Talan and said that he did really well with the testing and he didn't really cry at all! The good news is that Talan tested negative for any allergies to these things. The allergist said that it is pretty typical for babies to break out in hives for no reason. I don't get it, but I went along with it. :) Here is his back after the testing:On Tuesday, we took Talan to the sitter for the first time in over a week due to the hives and Thanksgiving break. When I picked him up on Tuesday afternoon, Talan was running a slight fever. I gave him some Tylenol and put him to sleep. Talan woke up around 4 AM and his fever was back. At this point, I decided I should stay home with him. Around 11 AM, Talan started to break out in hives ... again! I couldn't figure out if I needed to call the pediatrician's office or the allergist to find out what was going on. Ultimately, I called the pediatrician's office. They told me to go ahead and call the allergist to see if the hives were an abnormal reaction to the testing. I called the allergist around 11:50ish. I was hung up on 3 times and then finally sent to the answering service on the 4th call. I guess they decided to go to lunch early and didn't want to deal with me!!! The answering service told me that the doctors were at lunch from 12-1:30 (must be nice!). I called back around 1:30 and left a message for the nurse asking whether it was a normal reaction and if I should go ahead and give Talan some allergy medicine. I wasn't sure if the doctor needed to see the hives or not. By 2:15, I still hadn't heard from the nurse and called again. I talked to the scheduling lady and explained why I was calling. She told me she would get the nurse for me, but I got the answering machine again! Let's just say I was getting a little irritated at this point. Here are some pictures of the hives at lunch time. Sorry for him eating again, it's the only time I can really get pictures of him sitting still!Here's Talan when Aaron got home. His face was so swollen from the hives!

I finally heard back from the allergist's office around 4 or 4:30. After trying to get answers for almost 5 hours, I was not a very happy Mommy to say the least! The nurse said I should be giving Talan Zyrtec everyday. However, I'm not really okay with giving him medicine everyday if it's not needed. I really just want to find out what's causing the hives so that we can avoid it ... poor thing. It was a very frustrating conversation ... lots of telling me things to do and me saying I've already done them. AHHH!

On Thursday, Aaron stayed home with Talan. Since he was running a fever off and on, we weren't sure if he had a virus or an allergic reaction to something ... better safe than sorry. Aaron took Talan to get some blood drawn for further allergy testing. Talan was such a trooper! Since he's a big boy now, they drew the blood from his arm, not his foot. He wimpered a little bit, but no crying! :)

We have been giving Talan Zyrtec and Benadryl since Wednesday and it appears that his hives may finally be gone tonight. Aaron thought that the candles I've been burning in our house may have something to do with the hives, so we've stopped the burning candles for the time being ...
Hopefully we should get some answers this week as to what the blood results say.

1 comment:

kharv said...

I'm sorry that you are going through this! Hope it resolves or you get answers soon.